Merino wool derives from merino sheep, an ancient breed of sheep. Merino sheep probably originates from North Africa. But, now they are bred in different countries. Merino wool has some wonderful features. These features make it an ideal choice for hiking. In this article, I will discuss about the benefits of choosing merino clothing for hiking.
The Benefits of Merino Clothing in Hiking
Hiking can be a strenous activity. Thus, it requires some high-performamce clothing. You need to choose the material of your hiking clothing carefully. You must choose something that will keep you comfortable in various conditions. Merino should be the best choice for this. The benefits of merino clothing in hiking are described below.
- Merino wool regulates your body temperature. You will feel warm during cold weather and cool during warm weather.
- It can absorb up to one third of its dry weight in moisture, without you feeling dammp.
- Merino wool is one of the most breathable materials available. Breathability is important in hiking clothing. It allows sweat to escape, thus keeps your skim dry and blister free.
- Merino wool mechanically wicks moisture away from your skin. It does so with a capillary action. This keeps your clothes drier. In addition, it protects your skin from blisters or irritation.
- It has a great warmth-to-weight ratio.
- Your clothing will dry quickly. Because, merino.is breathable and it wicks very efficiently. This can be helpful on a multi-day hiking.
- Another unique property of merino.wool is that it resists odor and bacteria. This is a great advantage for hikers. You can just air dry your clothing overnight while sleeping. It will look new in the morning.
- It stays warm even when wet.
- Merino wool is hypoallergenic. Therefore, it is the best for people with skin problems.
- Traditional wool feels itchy. But, merino wool is soft and comfortable. This is because its ultrafine fibers measure only up to 24 microns.
- Merino clothing is durable, which is an absolute necessity in multi-day hiking.
- It is naturally fire-resistant. This makes it a safe choice for hiking and camping.
- Merino wool is naturally static resistant.
- It is also stain resistant.
- It will naturally protect you from UV. For this, it is a perfect choice for hiking.
Merino Wool Grading
The quality of merino wool is graded by its fibers’ diameter. If the diameter is smaller, the grade of the wool is higher.
- 17.5 microns and less- Ultrafine Merino Wool.
- 18.5 microns and less- Superfine Merino Wool.
- 19.5 microns and less- Extra fine Merino Wool.
- 22.5 microns and less- Medium Merino Wool.
- 24 microns and less- Strong Merino Wool.All these features prove that, merino clothing is the ideal choice for hiking.